Recipe by snapdragon928
I made this recipe up my self. I love chocolate cherries at Christmas time. This is kind of like the black forest desserts.
Top Review by ORTNmom
This was so yummy! I used a regular pudding-style chocolate cake mix as I had no pound cake, and so ended up doubling the other ingredients. In addition, I sprinkled the top with slivered almonds. The result filled a punch bowl (my method of serving) about 3/4, and served a family gathering of 15. There would have been leftovers, but most people went back for seconds! This dessert is very decadent looking, but the almond extract cuts the sweetness and the canned cherries have a little tartness, so it is not cloying. It has a very rich texture but is actually light and really delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 1 (20 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 (3 ounce) package chocolate pudding
- 1 (12 ounce) package Cool Whip
- 1 loaf chocolate pound cake
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Make pudding with the milk. Let chill a few hours.
- Cut up the chocolate pound cake and put half in a medium to large pretty glass bowl.
- Mix cherries and flavoring.
- After pudding has thickened, layer 1/2 the cherries over the cake in the bowl.
- Cover that with half of pudding.
- Cover that with half the whipped cream.
- Repeat layers. You may need more whipped cream to cover the whole bowl if you are more generous with the whipped cream.
- To step up the chocolate a notch you could use a package of mini chocolate chips to make one more layer on top of the whipped cream, for decoration.
- Chill for about a half hour or so, then serve.
- Doubled with everything but the cake, this overfilled a 9x13 pan, to estimate size. Cooking includes chill time.