Recipe by Lisa Connelly
A Nigella Lawson recipe that always has people asking for more - even people who don't normally eat chocolate cakes. Very morish. Use the best jam you can afford. If you use a relatively cheap jam, it'll probably be sweeter so use less sugar. You could also try adding a splash of kirsch to the batter and icing if you so desire. Very easy to make too.
- 125 g soft unsalted butter
- 100 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 300 g morello cherry jam
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 150 g self-raising flour
FOR THE ICING
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 100 ml double cream
- 12 natural coloured glace cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan.
- When it's nearly comletely melted, stir in the chocolate.
- Leave it for a moment to begin softening, then take the pan off the heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the butter and chocolate are smooth and melted.
- Now add the cherry jam, sugar, salt and eggs.
- Stir with a wooden spoon and when all is pretty well amalgamated stir in the flour.
- Scrape and pour into the muffin papers standing in a muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out.
- When the cupcakes are cool, break the chocolate for the icing into little piecesand add them to the cream in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and whisk the mixture either by hand, or with an electric mixer till it's thick and smooth.
- Ice the cakes with a spoon and put a cherry on the centre of each cake.