Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great, chocolatey dessert. Prep or cook time does not include chilling time.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and cocoa. Cut in butter with pastry mixer or fork until crumbly. Add egg and almond extract until blended; set aside 1 cup of this mixture for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the prepared 13"x9" inch pan. Carefully top evenly with pie filling.
- Combine chocolate chips and almonds, with the 1 cup reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over pie filling.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting.
These were a yummy combination of chocolate and cherries. I think that I was expecting a more brownie-like treat but was pleasantly surprised by this layered bar cookie. Rich and chocolatey!