Karen in MA's Note:
Created by Jessica Seinfeld From the book Deceptively Delicious A scrumptious, traditional chocolate cake that just happens to be fortified with beets. A fabulous alternative to the usual birthday cake!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed (or dark brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup beet, puree
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1Preheat the oven to 350Â°. Coat a 9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- 2In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar with the oil or margarine until creamy.
- 3Add the whole egg and egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the melted chocolate, beet puree, buttermilk and vanilla.
- 4Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and beat until smooth.
- 5Pour the batter into the pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 6Let the cake cool 5 minutes in pan before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
- 7Meanwhile, make the frosting. Beat the cream cheese with the confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla until smooth.
- 8Slice the cake in half horizontally. Spread the frosting over the top and between layers of the cooled cake.
- 9Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cake (With Beets)
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.2
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 38.1 mg
- Sodium 334.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 35.3 g
- Protein 9.8 g