Recipe by Sydney Mike
For those of us who love cranberries AND bars, here's a great looking recipe from The Joy of Cranberries: That Tangy Red Treat cookbook!
Top Review by Shelby Jo
OMG. These are fantastic! I was unsure about the cranberry in this but it works perfectly. I did mess up and used all of the batter as the crust so I didn't have any left over to put on top but they were still great. Give me a plate of these and a tall glass of milk and I'm a happy camper :) Thanks so much for posting!!
- 1 (14 ounce) package vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream, divided
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease a 13"x9" baking pan.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat caramels & 1/3 cup of the half & half, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted. Then, stir until smooth & remove from heat & set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cake mix, remaining 1/3 cup half & half, butter & vanilla until smooth. Pat half of this mixture into bottom of prepared baking pan & bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven & spread evenly with warm caramel mixture.
- In another bowl, stir cranberry sauce, then spoon over caramel layer.
- Sprinkle remaining cake mixture over cranberry layer, then top with a sprinkling of pecans.
- Return to oven & bake another 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack before cutting into bars.