Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This bread pudding should be baked in a water bath, for a fluffier pudding texture. Use a whole 1 pound sandwich bread for this (about 8-9 cups). The raisins are optional but good to add in, can add in chopped walnuts too.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use 1 cup full-fat milk and 1 cup half and half)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 -9 cups bread cubes (cut into about 1-inch cubes, use day-old bread if possible)
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees (second-lowest rack, if baking in a water bath set oven rack to middle position).
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, whipping cream, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt until well combined.
- Stir in the bread crumbs, and toss until well coated; let stand for 5-6 minutes to absorb the cream.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and raisins (if using).
- Transfer mixture to the baking dish.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or just until custard is set.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.