Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 gallon chocolate chip ice cream
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour (do not use self-rising)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar or 1 cup packed granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350F degrees degrees.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt with fork in ungreased square pan.
- 8 x 8 x 2 inches.
- Mix in remaining ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over batter.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Cake can be mixed in bowl if desired.
- Cut ice cream lengthwise into halves.
- Place one half on plate.
- Return remaining ice cream to freezer for another use.
- Prepare cake as directed except.
- Mix in bowl and grease and flour pan.
- Bake as directed.
- Cover cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place cake on cookie sheet.
- Place ice cream on cake 1 inch from one side.
- Trim the other side of cake around ice cream, leaving a 1 inch edge.
- Freeze cake and ice cream.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Beat egg white and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Working quickly, completely cover cake and ice cream with meringue, sealing it to foil on cookie sheet.
- Bake on lowest oven rack until meringue is light brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Trim foil to edge of meringue, transfer cake to serving plate.
- Cut into 6 slices.
- Cut each slice into halves.
- Serve immediately.
This worked perfectly! I made it double-decker due to the size of the crowd I was feeding, and it was so impressive when it came out of the oven. The flavor of the cake is great-very chocolaty.