Heavenly Baked Alaska
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is individual baked Alaskas, that taste very good - and are very simple to make.
- Ready In:
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra finely granulated sugar
- 6 slices jelly sponge rolls or 6 slices brownies
- 6 scoops ice cream, well frozen
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time, and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Place cake slices on ungreased baking sheet,. Top each with ice cream and quickly cover with meringue, being sure to seal edges completely. Swirl meringue into peaks. Keep in freezer until ready to bake. Freeze for at least 1 hour. (To store for longer periods, up to 2 weeks, place unbaked Alaska in cake box and over wrap with plastic).
- Preheat oven to 475°F Bake 2-4 minutes or until meringue is delicately browned. Serve at once.
- Choose ice cream that contrasts in color and flavor with cake, i.e. vanilla ice cream on brownies; peppermint on chocolate cake; fruit sherbet on jelly roll.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used "NOT Red Velvet Cake" and strawberry ice cream. I should have let it cook for 4 minutes instead of 3, since the meringue was not quite done, but I was so nervous about putting ice cream in the oven. :) My whole family agreed that it was the best Baked Alaska they've ever had. Of course, it was the first Baked Alaska for all of us. I will be making this one again! Thanks!1Reply