Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Once you make this recipe, you'll never go back to using a box mix again. It is so easy and foolproof, and will be completely authentic. This is the recipe I grew up with, but of course we never measured. Just threw in this and that. This would taste best with homemade chicken stock, but the directions use canned, as that's what most people have. You can replace the canned tomatoes with Rotel diced tomatoes. Use about a half cup including the liquid, it will give it a spicy kick! The directions may seem long, but it's actually quite simple. Buen provecho!
- Pour chicken broth into a 2 cup measure then add juice from tomatoes to make 2 cups. Set aside three whole tomatoes, saving remaining juice and tomatoes for another use.
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan then stir in rice until well coated.
- Saute till light golden brown, stirring frequently, then add garlic and onion.
- Continue until onions are translucent, stirring frequently.
- Holding a tomato in your hand, squeeze over saucepan to break it up. Drop it in pan. Repeat with two remaining tomatoes and stir into the rice.
- Stir in the broth mixture and add salt to taste. It should be a bit salty, as the rice will absorb it.
- Add the cilantro sprigs and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Open lid, remove cilantro sprigs and spread frozen peas on top (optional).
- Replace cover and let sit for a few minutes, allowing peas to warm.
- Fluff rice to mix in peas and serve.
I'm so inspired that I'm headed out the door to a Winnebago dealership to pick up an RV and drive westward to Baja. I should be there by morning. Made for ZWT#8~Mexico/Tex-Mex.
Terrific recipe with great flavor! I ended up using jasmine rice (which is all I had on hand), but the cooking time was the same. I used a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, which worked out fine, and I did add the peas. Made a wonderful side dish and one I will enjoy again! Made for ZWT 8.
This is going to be my new recipe for mexican rice. I also used diced tomatoes. We enjoyed this very much. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 8.