Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe attributed to Rick Bayless, found inside the Tabasco sauce box. It's easy, fast & tasty - just right for a quick dinner on a busy day. Be sure to use thick tortilla chips unless you want them "melted" in the bottom of the dish; trust me, I tried it with regular chips! Another option would be - Homemade Tortilla Chips . Note- Cook time does not include precooking the chicken. I used leftover deli rotisserie chicken.
- 10 ounces corn tortilla chips (thick, sturdy ones)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce (I've used the adobo sauce from canned chipotles, not much difference in taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (omit if chips are very salty)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (or a combo) or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese (or a combo) or 1 cup chihuahua cheese (or a combo)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Arrange chips in bottom of 13 X 9 inch baking dish. Evenly spread shredded chicken on top.
- In a food processor or blender, puree tomatoes then add the Tabasco sauce.
- Heat oil in a large pan, add onion & saute until golden, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic & cook 1 minute more. Stir in the broth, tomatoes & salt. Heat to a boil then stir in cilantro.
- Pour hot sauce over chicken & chips, coating evenly.
- Sprinkle with cheese & bake for 15 minutes or till browned on top & bubbly.
This was very tasty. DH & I love the Tabasco chipolte flavor. Thanks for posting.
Absolutely yummy! I made this with the homemade tortilla chips referened in the column. They were great, as they baked up nice and chewy in the casserole. Since I can't eat tomato seeds, I used three cans of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of stock. Next time, I will use 2 cans of tomato sauce and one cup of sauce. This dish was SO good. NOTE: This does not freeze and reheat well. It became kind of mushy. However, leftovers reheated before freezing were fine.