Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
Bon Appetit suggested that this chipotle butter could be used on fish or pasta ... now I can't decide which to do first.
- 59.14 ml butter, softened
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh cilantro leaves plus 3 fresh fresh cilantro stem
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh oregano leaves plus 3 fresh oregano sprig
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus 3 fresh rosemary sprig
- 19.71 ml minced canned chipotle chiles, in adobo*
- 2.46 ml coriander seed, crushed in resealable plastic bag with mallet
- 2721.55 g roasting chickens, rinsed, patted dry, neck, heart, and gizzard reserved
- 2 large onions, each cut into 8 wedges through root end, leaving root ends intact
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 236.59 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 59.14 ml dry white wine
- 8 warm corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, thinly sliced
- Using fork, mix butter, all chopped herbs, chipotle chiles, and crushed coriander in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F Place chicken, breast side up, in large roasting pan; place reserved neck, heart, and gizzard alongside. Starting at neck end of chicken, slide fingers under skin to loosen, being careful to avoid tearing. Spread all but 1 tablespoon seasoned butter over breast meat and thigh meat under skin.Rub any butter remaining on fingers over outside of chicken. Sprinkle main cavity of chicken with salt and pepper; place all herb sprigs in cavity. Tie legs together loosely.
- Place onion wedges in large bowl. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon seasoned butter in small saucepan over low heat; pour over onion wedges and toss to coat. Arrange onions around chicken. Sprinkle onions and chicken with salt and pepper.
- Roast chicken and onions 30 minutes. Scatter garlic cloves around chicken; add 1/4 cup broth to roasting pan. Continue to roast chicken until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 170°F, basting occasionally with pan juices and adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed to maintain juices in roasting pan, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove roasting pan from oven. Tilt chicken, draining juices from cavity into pan. Transfer chicken, onions, and garlic to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm. Add 1/4 cup broth and wine to pan. Place over 2 burners and bring juices to boil, scraping up browned bits. Strain juices into bowl. Discard fat from top of juices.
- Cut meat from chicken. Serve, making tacos with warm tortillas, chicken, onions, garlic, and avocado. Drizzle tacos with pan juices.
- * Dried smoked jalapeños in a spicy tomato sauce called adobo; available at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Latin markets.