Recipe by gailanng
Using the basic components, you can build your rice bowl to taste.
Top Review by Kathy R.
This turned out fabulous - better than the restaurant version, and my son who is a big Chipolte Restaurant fan, was rather surprised and agreed it was better. I did not have chipolte on hand, so I left that out and since we do not like our food too spicy hot, I only used about 1/4 teaspoon of chile powder. I also doubled the amount of rice. I used leftover pork roast that I had for dinner the night before, but I am sure this would be just as delicious with chicken, which is what I usually have on hand. I was so happy to find this recipe because I was going to throw it together based on a burrito recipe I ran across. I love the high protein and fiber content - such a healthy dish to prepare and so easy for leftovers!
- 1 recipe chipotle chicken (recipe follows)
- 1 recipe cilantro-lime basmati rice (recipe follows)
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed, heated and seasoned with salt & pepper
Chipotle Chicken Marinade
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder or 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- 2⁄3 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 lime, juiced (to taste)
Toppings Of Choice
- queso fresco
- sour cream
- shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc.)
- pico de gallo
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Marinade and Chicken: Add all marinade ingredients together, except chicken, to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Rub the marinade into the chicken and marinate at least one hour, up to 4 hours. Season the chicken with salt to taste. Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Slice into strips.
- For the Basmati Rice: In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Add water and salt; bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime juice; fluff rice with a fork.
- To Assemble: Spoon the rice into each bowl, followed by the beans, then the grilled chicken strips. Top with your choice garnishes.