Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A 4th of July favorite on our grilled steaks - gotta try it! From 40 Sardines
- 3 red onions, peeled and cut in to 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped with sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup crushed and roasted pistachios
- In a hot sauté pan, quickly caramelize red onions in olive oil for 2 minutes. Don't let onions cook too much; they need to slightly crunchy.
- Sprinkle sugar over onions, stir and quickly add vinegar.
- Stir in chipotles, season with salt and pepper then remove onions from heat. (Adjust the amount of chipotles to the amount of heat desired).
- Add pistachios and serve.