1 hr 30 mins
Savory, steamed taro cake, richly flavored with mushrooms and pork. Taro is a flavorful, starchy tuber similar to a sweet potato. It has a sweet/nutty/potato flavor. The larger taro roots are sweeter but drier than the smaller roots. It's avilable in most supermarkets, but if you can't find it, use sweet potato or yam. This cake is a very popular New Year's treat. During the first ten days of the New Year's celebration a few slices of all the different New Year's cakes are fried every morning for breakfast or when friends or family stop by. The cake will keep nicely in the refrigerator for 10 days if wrapped in plastic wrap.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup rice flour (NOT glutinous rice flour)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups taro root, washed, peeled and cubed (1 lb)
- 2 teaspoons shoyu
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups roasted pork loin, chopped
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1/4 cup char siu pork, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 lb chinese olive, chopped (lam see)
- 1In a medium bowl, soak the mushrooms in 1/4 cup cold water until softened (30 minutes).
- 2In another bowl, mix flour and starch in water.
- 3Heat 9-inch round pan with a little oil.
- 4Stir-fry taro with shoyu, oyster sauce, and salt for a few minutes.
- 5Mix taro into flour mixture.
- 6Add pork.
- 7Pour into oiled pan.
- 8Drain and squeeze mushrooms dry.
- 9Cut off and discard stems and mince the caps.
- 10Top cake with garnishes.
- 11Bring water to a boil over high heat in a covered steamer large enough to fit the pan without touching the sides of the steamer.
- 12Carefully place the pan into the steamer, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and steam just until cake is set and firm to the touch (45-60 minutes).
- 13Cool and cut into slices.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Taro Root Cake (Woo Tul Gow)
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.8
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 392.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted pork loin
char siu pork