Recipe by kitchenslave03
From Cooking Light. If you can't find Chinese egg noodles, substitute rice noodles or even linguine.
- 4 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sirloin tip roast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 star anise
- 2 cups shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, julienne cut, about 2 large
- 4 cups baby bok choy, halved lengthwise, about 1 3/4 lb
- 12 ounces Chinese egg noodles, fresh, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 t oil in large Dutch oven over med high.
- Sprinkle roast evenly with five spice powder and salt.
- Add meat to pan; cook 5 min, turning to brown on all sides.
- Add broth and next 6 ingredients to pan; bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 3 1/2 hours or til meat is tender.
- Remove meat from pan.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids.
- Heat the remaining 2 t oil in pan over med high.
- Add mushrooms and carrot to pan; saute 5 minute
- Add bok choy and 4 c reserved cooking liquid to pan.
- Cover and cook 5 min or til bok choy is tender.
- Cook noodles according to pkg directions. Drain.
- Divide noodles evenly among 8 bowls.
- Shred meat with 2 forks; arrange 3 oz meat over each serving.
- Top each serving with 2 T veggies and 1/2 c broth.
- Place 1 bok choy half on each serving.
- Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 t green onions.