Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Diabetic Popeye food with a bit of crunch. from - The High fiber cookbook for Diabetics by Mable Cavaiani, R.D.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped water chestnut
- Cook spinach according to directions on package.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat a small saucepan over medium heat for 1/2 minute.
- Swirl oil around the bottom of the pan, add onions and cook and stir until onions are soft but not browned.
- Add soy sauce and sugar to onions and mix lightly.
- Add chestnuts and spinach to onion mixture and cook and stir over medium heat to reheat to serving temperature.
- Serve hot using 1/2 cup per serving.
- Food exchange per serving: 1 veggie and 1 fat, Low sodium diets, omit soy sauce low cholesterol diets, use as is.
We had this for dinner last night with Kiwidutch's "Cant Get Any Easier Pan-Seared Scallops". I cut the recipe in half and used fresh spinach because that is all I had...I just cooked all the ingredients (except spinach) per instructed and then added the spinach and let it cook down for a few minutes. Wonderful. Thank you.
Delicious and a creative way to serve spinach which we enjoyed with Seared Scallos with Asian Lime-chile sauce Seared Scallops with Asian Lime-chile Sauce. Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having again soon!