Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Chimichurri is a family-favorite! This will keep nicely in covered glass (you should never use plastic) container for several days in the refrigerator but when serving, it is best at room temperature. Use this chimichurri to marinate pork, chicken, steak and lamb. Spoon over before serving or just pass it around. Delicious on talapia also. Please enjoy - this is so good for you!
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons basil leaves (chopped fresh)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons shallots (minced)
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves (chopped fresh)
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley (chopped fresh)
- 1 jalapeno (sliced with the seeds)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly cracked)
- In the bowl or a food processor, combine the olive oil, sherry vinegar, lemon juice, basil, garlic, shallots, oregano, parsley, jalapeno and crushed red pepper. Pulse until well-blended but DO NOT PUREE. Add salt and pepper to taste.
A friend who had travelled through South America invited us for a potluck with South American food and asked me to bring "chimichurri". As I hadn't the slightest idea what that was, I looked it up on zaar and found that it resembles the sauce I learned from my Portuguese friends to go along with grilled fish. So I picked this recipe because it had a great rating already and seemed closest to the sauce I know. It was a huge hit! I'm so sorry I cannot eat it, because it smells fantastic, and my DH now always requests it instead of the more simple Portuguese version :) Definitely a keeper. Thanks for posting it!
Thank you!!! My husband & I love chimichurri, but I had no idea how to make it - this recipe was incredible! I took 1/2 cup, put it into a ziploc bag with our steak and put that in the fridge for about 20 minutes before I cooked them. We each put some more chimichurri on our plates for dipping. It was SO good, in fact, that we both ended up mixing it into our rice in beans. I am happy to say that we have enough left for us to use on our tilpia later this week!!