This mild chili tastes great, has a nice thick texture, and practically cooks itself - What's not to love? The easy-to-prepare recipe came from the label of a ketchup bottle ;)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, partially drained
- In a large skillet, saute onions and bell pepper in vegetable oil for 1-2 minutes; add ground beef and cook until browned; drain fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup, chili powder, salt, and pepper; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and continue simmering for 15 minutes longer.