Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
This mild chili tastes great, has a nice thick texture, and practically cooks itself - What's not to love? The easy-to-prepare recipe came from the label of a ketchup bottle ;)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, partially drained
- In a large skillet, saute onions and bell pepper in vegetable oil for 1-2 minutes; add ground beef and cook until browned; drain fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup, chili powder, salt, and pepper; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and continue simmering for 15 minutes longer.
I learned this exact recipe 20 years ago. When I was just a little girl. Best chili ever. I dont remeber where i first learned it but now I just make it from memory. my family all love this and always beg me to make it for them when I go visit them during the winter time. Sometimes I make it with pinto beans instead and with turkey for those family members who dont like Kidney.
This really is an excellent, simple chili. I used ground turkey instead of beef, and the flavor is wonderful. I would give this 4 1/2 stars, but it's just a wee bit sweet (definitely from the ketchup). I put some cumin in it, and a little more chili powder, and the flavor is more to my liking. I love that it tastes this good, and it comes together so quickly, and it's still VERY good for you (look at those impressive nutritional facts).