Chilly Day Chili
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-sodium canned vegetable juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup quick pearl barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and green pepper, and cook and stir until soft. Add the turkey, chili powder, garlic, cumin and oregano, and cook, stirring to break up the meat for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add the vegetable juice, tomatoes and chiles, chicken broth and barley, and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until the barley is almost tender. Add the beans, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 320; total fat 12g (saturated fat 2.5g); cholesterol 60mg; sodium 700mg; carbohydrate 36g (fiber 9g); protein 21g.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!