Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Probably not entirely authentic, but it tastes fabulous! I'm a bit of a Luddite and enjoy making this with a pestle and mortar, but do use a food processor if that's more your bag.
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 mild red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 50 g fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 pieces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 6 -12 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 ounce pecorino romano cheese or 1 -2 ounce fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Grill both the chilli and red pepper under a very hot grilluntil the skin blackens and blisters. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Peel the chilli and pepper and remove the seeds. Roughly chop.
- With a large pestle and mortar crush the garlic together with the toasted pine nuts.
- One at a time, add the red pepper, chilli, basil, sundried tomato and tomato paste, squashing together until everything is roughly blended.
- Stir in the grated Pecorino or Parmesan.
- Stir in the oil, stirring until everything has become a paste, but still retains a little of it's own identity.
- Add tabasco to taste.