Probably not entirely authentic, but it tastes fabulous! I'm a bit of a Luddite and enjoy making this with a pestle and mortar, but do use a food processor if that's more your bag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 mild red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 50 g fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 pieces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 6 -12 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 ounce pecorino romano cheese or 1 -2 ounce fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Grill both the chilli and red pepper under a very hot grilluntil the skin blackens and blisters. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- 2Peel the chilli and pepper and remove the seeds. Roughly chop.
- 3With a large pestle and mortar crush the garlic together with the toasted pine nuts.
- 4One at a time, add the red pepper, chilli, basil, sundried tomato and tomato paste, squashing together until everything is roughly blended.
- 5Stir in the grated Pecorino or Parmesan.
- 6Stir in the oil, stirring until everything has become a paste, but still retains a little of it's own identity.
- 7Add tabasco to taste.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli Tomato Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.4
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 205.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 5.1 g