Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I'm not sure where this recipe came from. It sat in my box for several years before I tried it. It's very smooth and makes a light dessert.
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons vanilla yogurt or 2 (8 ounce) cartons strawberry yogurt
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- additional sliced strawberry (to garnish) (optional)
- sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
- In a saucepan, combine apple juice, 3/4 cup of water, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring to boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat; Cool.
- Place berries and remaining water in blender; cover and process until smooth.
- Pour into large bowl.
- Add apple juice mixture, yogurt and coloring.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until well-chilled.
- Garnish with additional berries and sour cream as desired.
- Cook time includes chill time.
My Husband and my Son are dessert/sweets eaters. My quest for healthy alternatives to their nightly ice cream, cake, cookies, and all things chocolate, led me to this recipe. What a hit! No one felt deprived, it satisfied their sweet-teeth, and I was happy to know they got some extra fruit and dairy. Tomorrow morning, we plan on putting a banana and the left-over "soup" in the blender for a nice breakfast smoothie. Of course we had to substitute frozen Strawberries for fresh, but that means it'll only be better in the summer! Thank you from the Green Mountains!