Recipe by JackieOhNo!
From Woman's World Magazine 10/26/04. Loaded with shrimp and chicken, this Southern-style gumbo has flavor to spare.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 onions, chopped, 2 cups
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 1-1/4 lbs., cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen cut okra
- 1⁄2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot over medium-high heat melt butter. Add onion, red pepper, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes with their juices, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes. Add okra; cook 5 minutes. Add shrimp; cook until c hicken, okra and shrimp are just cooked through, 5 minutes. Stir in hot sauce.