Recipe by VT Mike O
This is a chili recipe that I made up on the fly, taking things I liked from different versions of chili I've had and adding a few new ones. This is great with tortilla chips or just in a bowl. I prefer to eat mine on the couch while watching football.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for My 3-Chefs October 2013 tag game and I wasn't disappointed (DH gobbled it down). I did cut the recipe in half but otherwise followed the instructions. Served over fritos, topped with green onions slices, cheese and sour cream. Had a green salad on the side. Thank you for posting.
- 1 lb 80% lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and pork in large skillet and use spatula/wooden spoon to break the meat into very small pieces as it cooks.
- When meat is browned, toss in onions, peppers, shallot, garlic and spices and cook until onions are translucent.
- Transfer meat/veggie mixture to crock pot and add in the tomatoes, tomato paste and beans.
- Stir to incorporate all ingredients, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, cilantro and sour cream.