Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Great vegan main dish. The tofu is really great. From Cooking Light October 2004. Slightly modified. If you prefer, before cutting tofu put it on a plate on top of a couple of paper towels, add another plate and flatten with a couple of large cans for about half an hour.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chopped asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (bottled)
- 1 teaspoon hot chile sauce with garlic (such as KA-ME)
- 1 teaspoon extra firm tofu, drained a cut lengthwise into 6 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup carrot (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Boil asparagus in 1/2 cup water for 2-3 minutes or until desired tenderness. Drain.
- While rice cooks, heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and cili sauce in a small bowl. Sprinkle tofu with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add tofu to pan and cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned. Add soy sauce mixture and cook 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Combine rice, asparagus, 1/2 teaspoon salt, carrot and sesame oil. Serve tofu over rice.