Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Thursday magazine.
- 1⁄2 kg boneless fish, cut into medium pieces
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 large onions, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 15 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Mix the fish, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cook with little water.
- Smash the fish to get small pieces.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- After the mustard seeds stop spluttering, add the onions and fry till the onions are golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic and continue to fry till the raw smell is gone.
- Add the green chillies and pepper powder and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the smashed fish.
- Fry for 2 minutes, then check if the salt added is to taste or not.
- If not, add some more depending on your taste.
- Remove from flame.
- Garnish with tomato and capsicum juliennes.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice.