Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Chili Cornbread Casserole is a hearty dish that goes well with tortilla chips and sour cream. Try it with guacamole and salsa, it will be great!! Recipe makes one casserole with tons of extra chili to be frozen or used in other dishes. Chili will be spicy but not overwhelmingly spicy!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 jalapeno peppers
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 23 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces habanero pepper cheese
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Cook meat with salt, pepper, cinnamon, (1 tbs) cumin, (1 tbs) chili powder until brown. Drain drippings, and then add to crock pot. Dice up Jalepenos garlic and onions and add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Cook for 5 hours in crock-pot on HIGH. Stir frequently and season to taste! When chili is 30 minutes from being fully cooked start cornbread.
- Beat egg and add contents of jiffy mix, cheddar cheese, drained corn, diced jalapenos, sour cream and mix completely. Add approximately 1/3 cup milk or until mixture is stiff and mixture will peak.
- Preheat oven to 400, add oil to 11x7x2 glass pan and bake in oven until oil is hot, drain excess and add cornbread mixture. Bake 10 minutes at 375, and then lower to 350 for an additional 10-15 minutes until toothpick comes out dry from center. Remove cornbread from oven and raise oven temp to Broil. Cook cornbread on broil in oven until top of cornbread is browned.
- Assemble Casserole.
- Sprinkle 4 oz habanero cheese evenly over cornbread. From the crock-pot, remove ¼ of fully cooked chili to a separate bowl and fold in approximately 1 oz habanero cheese. Scoop chili mix over cornbread and sprinkle 4 oz cheddar cheese over top of casserole. Place chili in oven on broil until cheese is melted and slightly browned.