Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From The Great Big Burger Book
Make and share this Chili Chicken Burgers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced tomatillo
- 1⁄4 cup seeded and finely diced fresh jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in the onion; stir/saute 1 minute or until just translucent.
- Add in tomatilla, jalapenos, oregano, 2 tablespoons chili powder, salt, pepper, 1 cup crushed tomatoes, and beans; cook over med-low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cilantro; keep warm for topping.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, tomato paste, turmeric, broth, and remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder; mix well.
- Form mixture into 4 loosely shaped patties, each ¼ inch thick.
- Oil and preheat the grill (use a barbecue grate to support the patties) or a skillet over medium heat and cook the burgers to the desired degree of doneness; at least 4-5 minutes per side for medium.
- Serve on lightly toasted hamburger buns; top it off with the chili mixture and lettuce leaves.