Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The ultimate "pigs in a blanket"! From June-July 2007 Rachel Ray. Untried by me, will edit when I do.
- 3⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 ounces pizza dough (refrigerated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 hot dogs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the ground turkey in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the chili, onion and garlic powders and cook stirring frequently (breaking up into small bits) until browned, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then add 1/4 cup water to help loosen it up.
- Lower the heat and simmer until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- On a work surface, roll out the pizza dough and stretch into a big rectangle.
- Cut the dough lengthwise and then cut each half crosswise into 4 equal pieces (you should have 8 pieces in all).
- In the center of each rectangle, drop some chili and sprinkle with cheese.
- Set a hot dog on top and wrap the dough around it, sealing in the chili and cheese (the ends of each hot dog should peek out).
- Bake until golden, about 18 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
I made the kitchen pizza crust and used canned chili. Tried to pinch them shut but they still oozed. They were definately good and I made ds's without the chili as he doesn't like chili. Did use parchment paper so at least it didn't stick to the pan:)
I made these using hormel turkey chili and turkey hot dogs. they were very tasty but a bit overpowered by the pizza crust. I think next time I'd make them with crescent roll dough and add onions for a little more zip. but the recipe is a keeper and such a cute idea! =) thanks for sharing it.
How fun!!! Everything I expected, so definitely 5 stars of fun food!! A definite kid-pleaser. I also took the short-cut and used canned chili (hot for my hubby). I also added some finely chopped onion to my hubbies.