Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 54 mins
If you can’t find Ro-Tel tomatoes, use 1 cup of drained diced tomatoes combined with 1 finely chopped, stemmed, and seeded jalapeno.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 907.18 g ground beef, 90 percent lean
- 4 poblano chiles or 6 anaheim chilies, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 6.16 ml salt
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 3.69 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 283.49 g can Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained
- 283.49 g monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 1/2 cups)
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml skim milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef, breaking up meat into small pieces, and cook until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer beef mixture to paper towel–lined plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet.
- 2. Add poblanos and cook over medium-high heat until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in beef mixture, garlic, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, oregano, ½ teaspoon pepper, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook until beef mixture is dry, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in 2 cups Monterey Jack. Scrape mixture into 13 by 9-inch baking dish, pressing into even layer.
- 3. Combine flour, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper in bowl. Slowly whisk milk into flour mixture until smooth; set aside. Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip egg whites on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-high and whip until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Whisk one-third whipped egg whites into batter, then gently fold in remaining whites, 1 scoop at a time, until combined.
- 4. Pour batter over beef mixture. Bake until topping is light golden and puffed, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve.
This was delicious. I used anaheim chilies and made sure every seed was out of the chilies.
I have made chiles Rellenos for years and this is a good delicious casserole. I will cook this again!