Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another Rick Bayless recipe from Feb-March 2005 issue of Eating Well.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick (3 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 sprig flat leaf parsley
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- lime wedge, for garnish
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion and garlic until golden, 5- 7 minutes.
- Transfer to blender or food processor.
- Add ground chile, masa harina, salt, and 1 1/2 cups broth and process until smooth.
- Return puree to saucepan and boil over medium-high heat while whisking constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining broth, mushrooms, zucchini, and parsley; return to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and simmer 6- 8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove parsley and ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with lime wedges.