Liz's Spicy Chicken and Green Chile Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 chicken fillets
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (19 ounce) cans green enchilada sauce
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet fajita seasoning mix
- shredded monterey jack cheese or Mexican blend cheese
- sliced avocado
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Rub chicken fillets with fajita seasoning mix.
- Place chicken in skillet and brown each side.
- Remove from skillet and allow to cool.
- Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Add 1 Tbs olive oil to skillet and saute onions, garlic, and green chiles.
- Move to large saucepan.
- Add enchilada sauce, chicken broth, Mexi-Corn, and chicken.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Allow to simmer for 1/2 hour to 1 hour.
- Top with cheese, crumpled tortilla chips, and sliced avocado.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made as directed except I used frozen whole green chile from BiadChili.com. We used the Joe E Parker variety, which is 'medium' hot. We should have doubled the recipe :) Absolutely delicious and good for a chilly fall evening.<br/><br/>I should also note that although we now live in northern Idaho, we relocated from southern New Mexico (Las Cruces). I had my green chile shipped this year and was looking for recipes. This one caught my attention and was well worth it!
What a delightful soup! Made as directed, but I think next time I will make some changes. I will probably dice up some fresh jalapenos with the onions and garlic. I used a whole container of Bueno (New Mexico green chile) and it was not hot enough for us!! LOL You know how people from the SW are! It has a wonderful flavor and the chicken is so nice and tender. We put tortilla chips in the bottom of our bowl, added the soup and topped with cheese, sour cream and avacado. DELISH! This will be sooooo good come winter. Thanks for sharing with us!!
Oh my gosh!!! It's been a rainy day here in Arizona & I love green chili, so I doubled this soup for dinner and there's none left (only 5 of us). Quick to prepare and delightfully spicy. Real comfort food. The first bite said, "Oh, too spicy." But the next bite said, "Give me more, more, more!" Each of us had 2 bowlfulls. This will be a favorite on cool nights.