Nice vegan stew made creamy by the peanut butter. I love to make this extra spicy to contrast the sweet of the peanut butter. For even more zing (and to add the health benefits) I like to add a few more minced cloves of garlic a minute or two before it's done. Changed a bit but originally from Kate's(Vegan)Cookery Site.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 chili pepper, minced (use hot or mild depending on your tastes)
- 2 cups vegetable broth, from bouillon cube is fine,about
- 5 -6 tablespoons peanut butter, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, i like crushed but chopped is good too
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- salt & pepper
- cook onion till almost soft in broth or a little oil.
- add garlic and other veggies and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients- Use only as much broth as needed to make it a stew-like consistency.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer about 10 minutes or depending on how crip or tender you like your veggies.
- Great with added cayenne for extra spice.
Quick and easy. Because I used 100% natural PB, I added 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (low sodium). I also used 2 thinly sliced carrots instead of the zucchini.
I really liked this recipe, wasn't sure how the peanut butter and chickpeas would work but it came out very good. I used broccoli and carrots for the veggies because I had some in the house, also used extra cumin because I like it but only used chili powder because I don't like it too hot. Hopefully it freezes well, I'll definitely be making this again.
This was really tasty! I didn't put in the zucchini, but had sautéed snow peas on the side. I made it without carbs, which was plenty filling, but it would have been great with rice or naan!