Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Kary Osmond recipe from CBC Television and Canadian Living.
Make and share this Chickpea Patties in Pitas With Cilantro Yogurt recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (19 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (check the ounces on the can)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large whole wheat pita breads
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons mint
- Cilantro Yogurt: In small bowl, mix yogurt with cilantro; set aside.
- In food processor, pulse together chickpeas, eggs, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper until smooth; transfer to bowl. Add bread crumbs, green onions, garlic and 2 tbsp of the Cilantro Yogurt; stir to combine. Using wet hands, shape into six 1/2-inch thick patties. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate patties and yogurt for up to 24 hours.).
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry patties, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Cut each pita in half; stuff each pocket with patty. Spread Cilantro Yogurt on patties; top with carrots and cucumber.