Top Review by UmmBinat
This has really good flavour but would be too spicy if I added the cayenne too so I just omitted it as it was already in Recipe #257499 which I used and even that I cut down the cayenne quite a bit. I think I added extra chickpeas because mine for which I blended 3/4's was lighter in colour than mikekey's picture. I added a bit extra fresh cilantro as we love it. I would make this again, maybe not pureeing it at all.
- 1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 8 cups water
- 1 -4 tablespoon olive oil (original is 4tbsp)
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ibzar mixed spice (Gulf Spices (Ibzar))
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chickpeas and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 hours or until chickpeas are well cooked, adding more water if necessary.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a frying pan and saute cilantro and onions over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add frying pan contents to the chickpeas and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes; then remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture in the pot, add more water if desired.
- Heat through and serve.