Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
There's a little cafe close to where i live that makes this salad and it is absolutely divine! It tastes even better when its been made a day or so ahead as the dressing goes right through the salad, soaked up by the couscous and sultanas. This recipe does make quite a lot, we use it as a side dish and it feeds my family for a few nights! However, the recipe can easily be halved. Use vegetable stock powder to make vegetarian.
- 2 cups couscous (dry)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chicken or 1 -2 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 (420 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients into a small jar and shake well to combine.
- Place the couscous and stock powder in a large bowl. Add two cups of boiling water and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Leave for 15 minutes to allow the couscous to absorb the liquid.
- Use a fork to fluff the couscous before allowing to cool.
- Add the carrot, chickpeas, sultanas, coriander and parsley to the couscous. Mix well.
- Drizzle over the dressing and mix well. Season with pepper to taste.