Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got the concept of this recipe from a Canadian Living magazine, but changed it around a bit....cut the oil and kicked up the seasonings I liked it so much, I was having it for breakfast.
- 2 cups green beans, chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander or 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime rind, grated
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. (If using frozen corn, add to the beans and cook for 1 minute) Drain and chill in cold water; drain and set aside.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and black beans thoroughly; place in a large bowl. Add orange pepper, corn and onions; set aside.
- CHILI LIME DRESSING: Combine the ingredients; pour over the beans and toss to coat (Can be made ahead: cover and chill for up to 24 hours).
- Adjust seasoning to personal preference.
- Add/or change to red pepper.
- Add/or change to red kidney beans.
Boy am I glad I picked this for one of my PAC recipes. I did make a couple of adjustments though, I didn't add the green beans, for some reason they just didn't sound right to me, I thought about using wax beans instead but couldn't find them in my store when I went, so I skipped it entirely and threw in a small can of chopped green chilies. I also added a healthy shot of orange juice as the olive oil-lime juice-herb paste was a little stiff, (tequila might be a good choice too, for adults of course)..and finally I added some chopped pickled jalapenos for a little extra zap. I can see why you eat this stuff for breakfast, it's addictive. Thanks Abby Girl, for a recipe I'll be making again and again. Forgot to say, I served it with Jamican jerk marinated boneless pork chops, and baked sweet potatoes..wonderful flavor combos