Recipe by Sackville
This dish is perfect for making ahead of time and reheating. Serve with mashed potato and green beans. Carrots or peas are great too!
Top Review by Emmelyn Stieb
Delicious! I left off the lemon juice--I thought it would completely change the wonderful taste of the mushrooms and onions. It didn't need it. The whole family--even my brother, who typically doesn't like chicken, loved it!
- 3 -5 sprigs rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, finced
- 25 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 -6 chicken thighs or 4 -6 chicken drumsticks
- flour, for dusting
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 500 g mushrooms, quartered
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 400 ml chicken stock or 1⁄2 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved in boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rosemary, bay leaf and peeled garlic for five to six minutes in the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a low heat.
- Dust the chicken pieces with flour, then brown them in the pan with the herbs.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the onion, cooking for five minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the mushrooms and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir for several minutes until the mushrooms turn juicy.
- Return the chicken to the pan, drizzle over the lemon juice and then add the stock.
- Stir as the sauce simmers and thickens from the flour on the browned chicken.
- Simmer gently for up to half an hour until the meat is cooked and the sauce is brown and syrupy.