Recipe by Timothy H.
This is a traditional sauce from the Catalonia region of Spain, usually made with almonds, garlic, roasted tomatoes, mint and fennel! This sauce is exceptional with poultry,seafood,fish even pasta!
For the sauce
- 6 roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion, halved
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 ancho chili, seeded and steamed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For The Chicken
- 16 ounces whole chicken breasts, wing tips removed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fine herbs like basil, parsley, cilantro
- 1 teaspoon tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the sauce first: Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl add tomatoes, red pepper,onion,garlic, chile and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place the mixture in a glass casserole dish, cook in the oven for 20 minutes.Remove the chile and set aside.
- Roast the remaining vegetables for 30 more minutes.When cool enough to handle,remove the skins and seed from the tomatoes,bell pepper and chile.Place all the vegetables and thyme in a food processor, pulse until chunky. Add pine nuts and pulse for 10 seconds,add 1/4 cup olive oil,vinegar,paprika,salt and pepper. Pulse again for 5 seconds to mix.Refrigerate for 2 hours. This will keep for 5 days in a sealed type jar.
- For the Chicken: Season the chicken with salt,pepper and herbs. In a large skillet or sauce pan that can be put in the oven, heat olive oil over medium heat,add chicken breasts skin side down for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn the breast over and put the pan in the oven for 8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and set aside to cool a little. On the stove using the same pan over medium heat, deglaze with wine. Add lemon juice and cook 10-15 seconds. Take the pan off the heat, add butter making sure it is melted.
- Ladle the Romesco Sauce in the center of the plate, place chicken on top of the sauce then pour the lemon wine sauce over the chicken.