Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this recipe in a Weight Watchers cookbook, and changed it slightly to accomodate my family's taste. It was surprisingly good. I wish I could have thought of a more creative name for the recipe to tempt others to try it. The original recipe was 6 pts. per serving.
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, bone-in
- 2 skinless chicken legs
- 2 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil.
- Add the chicken and sprinkle with the oregano, salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken, turning regularly, about 8-10 minute.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Combine the rice, celery, scallions and garlic in the skillet.
- Saute about 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes (and a few spoonfuls of water if it looks dry.).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and return chicken to the skillet.
- Simmer, covered, about 45 minute or until rice is done.
- Stir in the chickpeas and heat through, about 2 minutes.