Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This might be alot of work but it is so good. The taste is so wonderful.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup chopped ham
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 whole cloves
- 12 white pearl onions
- 18 button mushroom caps
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 1⁄4 cups red wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- Lightly rinse the chicken under cool running water.
- Add the nutmeg and salt to the flour and dredge the chicken in it.
- Shake off any loose flour and cook the chicken in the olive oil until browned and transfer to a casserole dish that has a cover.
- Sauté the celery and onions in the same pan until golden brown.
- Stir in the next 5 ingredients and mix well for one minute, add to casserole dish.
- Stick one of the pearl onions with the cloves.
- Add that onion, mushrooms and remaining onions to the casserole.
- Pour the brandy in the dish and carefully ignite it.
- Once it has burned off, add 1 cup of the wine, cover and cook in a preheated oven of 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.
- Blend flour with the remaining quarter cup of wine, stir into the liquid in the casserole thoroughly and return to oven for an additional 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.