Mushrooms, olives, and sweet bell peppers compliment chicken breasts and pasta. For variety, try this recipe with other kinds of sweet peppers or simply toss in a few of the more pungent pepper types if desired. From the cookbook Chicken. Posted for Zaar World Tour 4
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bell peppers, cut into large pieces
- 8 ounces fresh large mushrooms, quartered
- 2 small tomatoes, peeled and halved
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces pitted green olives
- 4 -6 tablespoons heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- pasta or new potato, to serve
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan. Brown the chicken breasts on all sides in the oil and butter. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry gently until beginning to soften. Add the peppers and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and season generously with additional salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetable mixture to an ovenproof casserole. Place the browned chicken breasts on the bed of vegetables.
- Deglaze the frying pan with the white wine and pour the deglazing mixture over the chicken. Cover the casserole and cook in a preheated oven at 350 F for 50 minutes.
- Add the olives to the chicken and vegetables, mix lightly and then pour on the cream. Recover the casserole and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Adust the seasoning and serve the pieces of chicken, surrounded by the vegetables and sauce, with pasta or tiny new potatoes. Garnish with parsley.
4 3/4 stars. Very juicy and wonderful flavour. I used all extra virgin olive oil even where butter was called for to be dairy free. In replacement of the heavy cream I made my own sauce with the cooking liquid, homemade chicken stock, rice flour to thicken and Helmans olive oil mayonnaise. I added 1 extra clove garlic out of preference and habit and used red and yellow bell peppers. I used wonderful portabella mushrooms which really gave something extra to this dish along with some large regular white mushrooms. We are alcohol free so I deglazed with my homemade chicken stock and served this with Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes and a salad for a very good meal. I would make this again. Thanks! Made for ZWT5 for Cooks With Dirty Faces.