Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
If you read through my recipes you will find a number of recipes using lentils. Over the past year or so of eating a healthier diet I have come to know and enjoy lentils a great deal. So, when I see a new recipe involving lentils I like to add it to my collection. This one I found in the Winter 2008 version of the BBC Easy Cook magazine. The recipe says that it is able to be frozen.
Top Review by knittingchocolatier
This was a bit bland as written...I made it with a little bit of hot Italian sausage and increased the garlic and it was awesome! Be sure to sprinkle some sea salt on at the table-it takes this dish to the next level. This took close to an hour for the small French lentils to get soft, so plan accordingly. I really didn't know what 1 2/3 oz of lentils came out to, so I just poured. I wound up with way too many lentils which was fine-this was resurrected for the next meal by adding more stock and wine, chopped carrots and celery, and garlic and sausage for a stew. The leftovers were even more delicious the 2nd time around! All in all not a recipe that's perfect per se, but it is simple, healthy, and VERY easy to adjust to your personal tastes!
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 large skinless chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 5 fluid ounces dry white wine
- 6 2⁄3 fluid ounces chicken stock
- 1 2⁄3 ounces green lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 ounces brown button mushrooms, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon quickly in the oil, then lift onto a plate.
- Add the chicken and brown on each side. Set aside with the bacon.
- Tip the onion and garlic into the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and tomato paste, then stir over a low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, stock, lentils and thyme.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, bacon and chicken.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, until the lentils are tender and the chicken cooked.
- Season and serve.