Recipe by Derf
Comfort Food without the heavy calories! from "Cooking Light" magazine (1989)
Top Review by brunettebaker
This was very good. I added a little more carrots than called for and also added about 1 cup of frozen peas to give it some more vegetables. Had to add a little more flour and corn starch because the flour mixture that you add doesnt make it quite thick enough.
- 6 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 6 cups water, chicken breasts, mushrooms carrots and onion in a large Dutch oven.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken breasts and let each cool separately.
- Discard skin and bones, cut chicken into bite-size pieces, and add to vegetable mixture.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours.
- Skim fat from broth and discard.
- Stir in poultry seasoning and next 5 ingredients.
- Combine 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon flour and remaining 1/2 cup of water, stir well.
- Bring chicken mixture to boil, stir in flour mixture.
- Reduce heat, simmer uncovered 35 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine remaining 1 cup flour and baking powder, add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into boiling broth, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until dumplings are tender.