Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This dish tends to lean towards a middle Eastern style of flavors. Adjust all spices to taste.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (less-sodium preferably)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced whole pitted dates
- 1⁄3 cup sliced dried apricot
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup lemon, sections peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked couscous
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces, cook/brown for 5 minutes on each side.
- Add in the onions, and the next 6 ingredients (onion through garlic) cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the chicken broth, dates, apricots, rind and salt; bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is done.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the chopped parsley, lemon sections and cilantro.
- Serve with the cooked couscous.