Recipe by Oolala
From Delicious and Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson.
Top Review by bunkie68
Good recipe! I followed it as written, except that I substituted marjoram as I couldn't find either tarragon or thyme in my pantry. Even my 8-year-old liked it. We served it with rice and baked butternut squash. The only reason we didn't give it five stars is because the garlic came out with a funky texture after cooking in the crockpot. I'd like to try a similar recipe prepared on the stovetop or in the oven to see how it compares. We liked this one, and I'd make it again.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled, about 4 heads
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces, skin on breasts, skinless legs and thighs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, peeled, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup dry white vermouth or 1⁄2 cup white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until it softens and begins to turn golden.
- Remove garlic to stoneware with slotted spoon.
- Increase heat to medium and add chicken in batches and brown. Transfer to stoneware.
- Add onions and celery to pan and cook, stirring until softened.
- Add tarragon, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring for 1 minute and then add wine or vermouth and bring to a boil.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until juices run clear when pierced with a fork.