This recipe comes from Holly Clegg's Trim and Terrific Freezer Friendly Meals. This actually turned out to be a much lighter version of a family favorite that used a whole stick of butter! Comfort type food that can be made ahead for a quick meal! You can use leftover chicken or purchase a rotisserie chicken from your local deli. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup roasted red peppers which we omitted for family preference. Mushrooms would be a nice addition!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g package thin spaghetti or 453.59 g package vermicelli
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 283.49 g can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 473.18 ml skim milk
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 236.59 ml frozen green pea
- 907.18 g cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (4 cups)
- 340.19 g shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (1.5 cups)
- 1Break pasta into 3 or 4 inch pieces. Cook according to package directions.
- 2In a large non-stick pot coated with non-stick cooking spray, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic until tender.
- 3Mix in the flour.
- 4Add the tomatoes, milk, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- 5Lower the heat mix in the green peas, mixing well.
- 6Add the pasta, cheese, chicken. Mix well and heat through. Transfer to a 3 quart baking dish (we used a 9x13) coated with non stick cooking spray.
- 7TO PREPARE AND EAT NOW: Preheat oven to 350°F Bake for 20 minutes. It's ready when it's bubbly.
- 8TO FREEZE: Do not bake before freezing. Cool to room temperature, wrap, label and freeze.
- 9TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING: Remove from freezer to defrost fully. Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 350°F oven which has been preheated.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Vermicelli
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.5
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 308.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 31.2 g