1/1 Photo of Chicken Tostadas
This recipe is from Gourmet July 2008 perks up a rotisserie chicken with a sauce of tomatoes, onion, and garlic. Don't forget to serve a side of Margaritas!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 lb tomato, quartered
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 -2 fresh serrano chili, stemmed (if you like heat add more)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 6 large radishes, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, meat coarsely shredded (4 cups)
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (1 lb) can refried beans, heated (or use black beans)
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso anejo (aged white cheese, also called cotija) or 1/4 cup ricotta salata
- 1Preheat broiler.
- 2Cut half of onion into 3/4-inch wedges, then chop remainder. Toss onion wedges, tomatoes, garlic, and whole chiles with 2 tablespoons oil in a 4-sided sheet pan, spreading in 1 layer.
- 3Broil about 4 inches from heat until softened and charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, toss together lettuce, radishes, chopped onion, and half of cilantro.
- 4Purée tomato mixture in a blender along with one or both roasted serranos (to taste) and 1 teaspoon salt until smooth (use caution when blending hot foods). Transfer purée to a bowl and stir in chicken, remaining cilantro, and salt to taste.
- 5Heat remaining 1/2 cup oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Fry tortillas, 1 at a time, turning once or twice and pressing with tongs to immerse, until golden brown, 45 to 60 seconds per tortilla. Drain briefly on paper towels, then transfer to plates.
- 6Spread tortillas thickly with heated refried beans, then top with chicken mixture. Slice avocado over tostadas and dollop with crema.
- 7Mound lettuce mixture on top and sprinkle with cheese.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tostadas
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.9
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 93.7 mg
- Sodium 332.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 34.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: