Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
You 'll have no problem impressing a crowd with this elegant buffet dish! Lightly browned chicken with a sauce of sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, capers, green peppercorns & fresh herbs bedded on baby spinach which mixed with sauteed onions and garlic. Topped with toasted pinenuts. You can cut down this recipe. If you want serve on a bed of rice for a more elegant meal or place on a tortilla and wrap for more casual meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 7 lbs chicken breasts, pounded and sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup sliced sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1⁄4 cup oil, for browning if needed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 20 ounces fresh mushrooms (I used baby bellas and button)
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn
- 1⁄2 cup capers, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 10 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Heat oil and butter in a large pan heavy bottom pan. Saute onions and garlic 3-4 minutes till translucent. Remove onions and garlic leaving oil in pan set aside.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder together. Toss chicken in flour mixture to coat chicken strips.
- In the same pan add oil if needed. Lightly brown chicken strips on all sides. Do not crowd pan. Repeat till all strips are browned. Adding additional oil as needed.
- When all chicken is browned drain oil and discard.
- To the pan add broth, wine OR water, tomatoes, thyme, parsley, capers, & peppercorns scraping all the goodness (brown bits) from the bottom of the pan.
- Add mushrooms and butter bring to a boil toss in chicken to heat. Mushrooms will stay firm.
- Toss the baby spinach with the onions.
- Place spinach in chafing 3 dishes top with 1/3 of the chicken mixture on each bed of spinach and top with all the goodies(tomatoes, capers, mushrooms and herbs).
- The cooked chicken will wilt the spinach.
- Garnish with pine nuts.
- Sit back and watch it disappear.
Made this for my family to test it for a shore crowd. It is very tasty and not too difficult. My husband said "oh, this is Coq au Vin". It really is. Chicken serves a lot cut like this - I didn't pound it out - cut horizontally and then cut in med size strips. Served with yellow rice and cantaloupe. May add a green salad for the shore but the baby spinach on the bottom is good. It will be a shore meal for a crowd.
family of 6 - four fussy teenagers - all enjoyed the flavour - particularly the sun dried tomatoes. Made enough to freeze for another night.