Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the most amazing chicken casserole dish I have ever tried. I promise you will not regret making this. Don't omit the sherry, it's the ingredient that really makes it distinctive and delicious. I made several changes to a Turkey Tetrazzini recipe I found in a Boar's Head booklet and this is the result.
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles or 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream or 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons course black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (don't use cooking sherry)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter 3 qt, oven proof casserole.
- In saucepan, melt butter and saute mushrooms until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Blend in flour, 3/4 c cheese and chicken broth.
- Cook until smooth and thick.
- Add seasonings, except parsley.
- Remove from heat and blend in cream and sherry.
- Add shredded chicken and cooked noodles.
- Pour into dish and top with bread crumbs, parsley and remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 20 minutes.
- Brown crumbs under broiler if necessary.
- You may want to adjust the liquids a bit if you prefer a creamier sauce.
really loved this Pebbles! though I did make some changes... using other recipes as a guide. used thin spaghetti broken in thirds, added a red onion, diced, chopped orange bell pepper and 3 minced garlic cloves to the mushrooms while cooking. also added 4 chopped green onions and cooked all the veggies in olive oil instead of butter. took the pan off the heat and sprinkled all the cooked veggies with flour, mixing it in before adding the liquid to avoid clumps. Doubled the flour, chicken broth and sherry to accommodate for the extra ingredients. Used thyme and nutmeg in place of the tarragon and parsley, and topped the casserole with grated Parmesan, leaving off the bread crumbs. It was sooo delicious, and great leftover! Thanks a bunch for a versatile, wonderful dinner!
my mom made this dinner and it was great. Above comment from my 10yr old DD, she just loved this! I added a small onion and garlic in step 1. Absolute perfection! Served with steamed broccoli and crusty garlic bread. Many thanks pebbles, we'll be back ;)