This is a fairly low-calorie recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces chicken breasts, strips for stir-frying
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell peppers (1 medium) or 3/4 cup green bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 24 inches corn tortillas, coarsely torn
- 3 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
- 1/2 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped (optional)
- corn chips, baked tortilla chips (optional) or broken taco shell (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl toss together chicken, garlic, and chili powder. Add to hot skillet. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- 2Add canola oil to skillet. Add onion and sweet pepper. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach.
- 3Coat a 2-quart square baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup of the salsa in the baking dish. Top with half of the tortilla pieces, half of the chicken mixture, and half of the vegetable mixture. Pour half of the remaining salsa over the vegetables and top with half of the cheese. Repeat layers once, except do not top with the remaining cheese.
- 4Bake, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with cherry tomatoes, chopped avocado, and/or corn chips.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Taco Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.3
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 39.2 mg
- Sodium 562.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 19.4 g